Advertisements

Stephane Zubar tells Weymouth players to aim high

COMMANDING central defender Stephane Zubar insists he is enjoying his time at Weymouth and has urged his new team-mates to aim high in their respective football careers.

The 29-year-old Guadeloupe international has only lost once in a Terras’ shirt in six games in all competitions since coming in on non-contract terms last month.

And, while he admits he was sceptical about stepping into the non-League system at first, the former AFC Bournemouth man has settled in well and has already made himself a hit with the club’s fans.

Explaining his shock move to the Bob Lucas Stadium, Zubar, who revealed he got the call from Terras’ player-coach Mark Molesley about joining the club, told Echosport: “He rang me and said ‘listen, we are looking for a centre-half if you care to come and play for us?’.

“To be honest, first of all I didn’t really want to come because I wanted to play League football.

“But I have my family and my house here so it’s not far. That really helped.”

He added: “To be honest, I am really surprised because I have never played for a non-League club before. They have made me feel welcome and, so far, I am really pleased and surprised.”

Commenting on his team-mates, Zubar has urged them to back their abilities and show big ambition.

He added: “I have told the lads that all of them can play higher. They showed that on Saturday (with a 3-2 win against National League South side Gosport Borough).

“I told them all I will be quite harsh with them because they are good enough to play at a higher level.

“I do believe that we can do something, so I want the players to believe in themselves. Most the players here are quite young so I believe they can achieve something.”

He continued: “Why not try to achieve something with Weymouth, you know? Why not try to win the league?

“When I signed for Bournemouth, they were in League One. I think I was the only one who could see Bournemouth in the Premier League.

“I put it in my contract and said if Bournemouth get promoted they would extend my contract for one more year and it did happen.

“I told the lads (at Weymouth) ‘why not believe that you can play League football?’. Fleetwood did it, Burton Albion did it and have made the Championship.”

Asked about his future at the club, Zubar, who trialled with a number of teams in pre-season, said: “So far I have just tried to do my best. I am a Weymouth player but I play on non-contract, so anything can happen.

“I will enjoy my time here and in football you never know what can happen. I am ready to get fit soon and give my best.”

Also commenting on the defender’s future following Saturday’s FA Cup second qualifying round victory, player-manager Jason Matthews said: “We are going to be having a chat with him about the future and I think Stephane enjoys his football here.

“I think that’s the big thing that has kept him here. I know there are clubs that are sniffing around him and it would be a massive coup for us to keep him.”

Dorset Echo

Advertisements
Advertisements