Ten-man Weymouth secure hard-fought win


Baggie 19


WEYMOUTH clung on to take a crucial three points against Chesham United despite seeing Mark Cooper sent off in an ill-tempered game in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

The Terras took the lead at the Bob Lucas Stadium in the 19th minute from a great shot from Abdulai Baggie but were reduced to 10 men nine minutes later as Cooper received a straight red card for a tackle on Oran Swales.

Mark Molesley made three changes to the side that drew 3-3 in midweek against Basingstoke Town as Tiago Sa, Charlie Davis and James Hayter came in for Charlie Seaman, Harry Baker and Josh Wakefield.


Calvin Brooks returned to the matchday squad after injury, while Pat Suraci was absent in the last match before his one-month loan deal from Bognor Regis Town expires.

There was a frantic start to the match as both teams had good chances in the opening minutes.


A free-kick into the box from Chesham’s Jhai Dillon forced Stephane Zubar to head up into the air before goalkeeper Mark Travers collected the ball.

Weymouth then caused problems for the away side as a corner taken by Davis was cleared back to him. Davis whipped the ball in again and from the scramble in the box the home side were unable to get a good shot off.

Brandon Goodship then forced Chesham keeper Hafed Al-Droubi into a smart save at the near post before Travers had to deal with a shot from distance which was comfortably saved.

Travers soon after faced another shot from distance which deflected out from a corner, which subsequently could not find anyone in the box.

Zubar was again called into action as he headed the ball clear after an intricate move from Chesham and from the clearance Baggie went on a wonderful run before laying off to Goodship, who sent his shot over the bar from just outside the box.

But the Terras took the lead in the 19th minute as Baggie shot from outside the area after the ball was laid off to him from Ben Thomson.


Chesham tried to level the scores not long after but a free-kick from 30 yards out was fired straight at Travers.

Weymouth were dealt a blow when Cooper was sent off for a challenge on Swales after 28 minutes which prompted Weymouth manager Mark Molesley to take off Hayter for Brooks, who made his return from injury.

Adam Watkins proceeded to become a problem for the home side as a shot from outside the box went wide with Travers diving.

After a good build-up Watkins again called Travers into action with a shot from 18 yards that Travers saved despite the ball appearing to be going wide.

Weymouth were defending well despite being a man down but home attacks were becoming more infrequent as the first half wore on.

Thomson had a good run forward late on in the first half but ran into Adam Pepera who took the ball and managed to clear.

Despite the pressure the home side held firm as they went in at half-time a goal up.

The second half began with a couple of good opportunities for Weymouth, as Baggie tried to feed the ball to Goodship who couldn’t get on the end of it.

Davis was then found by Baggie from the edge of the box but his shot went narrowly over.

But Chesham should have equalised as a good move found Swales six yards out but he blazed his shot over.

Thomson then went on a great run from the halfway line into the Chesham box but his shot is fired straight at a defender, deflecting out for a corner.

Chesham again worked the ball to a player six yards out as Ravi Shamsi crossed into Swales who headed over.


Weymouth had upped their attacking threat in the second half but were spending a lot of time defending as the away side were made their extra man count.

Late pressure from the away side did not trouble Travers, who made some good saves while a late free-kick was sent high and wide.

Baker sent the ball wide in the dying stages from a Thomson cross but Weymouth held on to all three points for an excellent win.

The Terras are next in Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division action away to Dunstable Town on Saturday (3pm).

Terras: Travers, Cooper, Sa, Zubar, Buckley, Carmichael, Davis, Hayter (Brooks 32), Thomson (Wakefield 90), Goodship (Baker 79), Baggie. Subs not used: Down, Boore.

Chesham: Al-Droubi, Reynolds, Dhillon, Bates, Murphy, Pepera, Shamsi, Watkins, Bush, Iaciofano, Swales (McGleish 70). Subs not used: Hutton, Elsahib, Locke, Hayford.

Attendance: 602

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *