Dominant Weymouth thrash Farnborough


McCarthy 10, Baker 21, Goodship 30, 62, Thomson 60, Baggie 90+2


WEYMOUTH thrashed Farnborough for the second time this season, winning 6-0 thanks to a fantastic looping header from Harry Baker, a Brandon Goodship double and goals from Jake McCarthy, Ben Thomson and Abdulai Baggie in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

When the two sides met earlier in the season it had ended in a 6-2 victory for Weymouth and the Terras had a storming start on this occasion as they were 3-0 up inside 30 minutes.

Mark Molesley made three changes as Charlie Davis, McCarthy and Josh Wakefield came in for Josh Carmichael, Tiago Sa and Jordan Ngalo.

The Terras’ loss against Dunstable Town was their first in 11 games since a 3-0 loss to Slough Town on November 18.

Farnborough had a good opportunity a minute into the match when Nathaniel Oseni passed to Lewis Ferrell who got the ball to Jack Barton down the right-hand side. Barton’s dangerous cross forced Stephane Zubar to head away, while another Barton cross soon after was claimed by keeper Will Dennis.

Weymouth had the better of the early play but could not find an early way through as a ball curled in by Davis was headed away, while a cross from Callum Buckley went out for a goal-kick.

But the hosts took the lead in the 10th minute from a free-kick by Davis. The ball was headed away but McCarthy controlled well under pressure and calmly turned and fired in to the bottom right-hand corner past Aiden Upward in the Farnborough goal.

Farnborough tried to respond and went close as a shot from Perry Coles was fired wide from six yards out in the 15th minute.

Baker then produced a moment of magic from a ball upfield on the halfway line from Zubar as he looped the ball over the onrushing Upward to put Weymouth two up inside 21 minutes.

The first half was turning into Weymouth dominance as nine minutes later a cut back from Calvin Brooks found Baker who whose shot was deflected away by Fearn.

The pressure would tell moments later though as Goodship fired in from a tight angle after Baker’s cross as Weymouth found themselves three up.

Josh Wakefield was doing well to break up and recycle the play and Weymouth were piling on the pressure, but Boro had chances and Dennis was forced to rush out from goal to beat Andrew Sealey-Harris to the ball.

Soon after Sealey-Harris fired in a shot from distance but Dennis got down well to save.

At this point Weymouth were spending the vast majority of the time camped in the Farnborough half, crafting moves with ease but coming unstuck before they could take a shot.

A chance for Boro late into the half saw Sealey-Harris run into the box and play the ball towards Ferrell but the ball went out of play.

The second half started with Farnborough on the attack as Antwi, inside the box, tried to find Sealey-Harris but the ball ran out of play.

Antwi then set up Barton for a shot but it was comfortably saved by Dennis and soon after Upward had to be quick off his line to clear the ball away with Baker lurking.

But Thomson got his reward for continuing his run as Goodship received possession and fired from inside the box, causing Upward to fumble and Thomson took the opportunity for Weymouth’s fourth in the 62nd minute.

Thomson again proved crucial for Weymouth’s next goal as he broke into the box but elected to pass to Goodship who duly fired home with a deflection from Fearn who tried to slide in to stop the ball.

Zubar nearly scored a sixth as a free-kick from Davis was crossed in and headed way before the defender slammed the ball up towards the top corner bringing a superb save from Upward.

Tempers flared late on following a foul and both Brooks and Coles received yellow cards.

However, Abdulai Baggie made sure that Weymouth again put six past Farnborough with a precise low shot from 30 yards out that beat Upward in added time, bringing deserved applause from the Bob Lucas Stadium crowd at full-time.

Weymouth now travel to Royston Town on Tuesday in a rearranged fixture.

Terras: Dennis, Wells, Buckley (Sa 50), Zubar, McCarthy, Wakefield, Davis, Baker, Thomson (Baggie 78), Goodship, Brooks.

Subs not used: G.Stewart, Farrugia, Molesley.

Farnborough: Upward, Ferrell, Jones, Fearn, Hylton-Bartley, Everitt (Campbell 46), Barton (Omrore 78), Oseni, Coles (Cunningham 71), Antwi, Sealey-Harris.

Subs not used: Anyan.

Attendance: 608

Referee: Colin Hubbard

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *